First of abstract sculpture studies of Jagae series sculptures for my last show at BeinArt Gallery.
This is a set of 5 jagae "rocks" are actually made of clay and overlayed in various jagae (abalone/mother-of-pearl). They're meant to be stacked or displayed as you wish (Please see photos for details)
I was thinking of fossilized memories we carry with us through our lives - unforgettable moments, time period, people, that have become a part of us, like hard lumps that cannot be removed. Sometimes, in quiet times, we shuffle through the memories, reviewing and reliving them. This is a meditative sculpture - adding tactility to your intangible lumps of memories.
All measurements are at widest points of curved surfaces :
1. 5.5" x 3.75" x 2" (14 cm x 9.6 cm x 5 cm) . Green abalone, clay, acrylic and varnish.
2. 4.25" x 3" x 1.8" (10.8 cm x 7.6 cm x 4.6 cm) . White mother-of-pearl, clay, acrylic and varnish.
3. 3.25" x 2.3" x 1.1" (8.3 cm x 5.8 cm x 2.8 cm) . Blue paua abalone, clay, acrylic and varnish.
4. 2.6" x 2" x 1.1" (6.6 cm x 5 cm x 2.8 cm) . White mother-of-pearl, clay, acrylic and varnish.
5. 2" x 1.6" x 1.1" (5 cm x 4 cm x 2.8 cm) . Rainbow prism abalone, clay, acrylic and varnish.
Signed, chop-stamped on Certificate of Authenticity
Ships in a box
* Please be gentle when rearranging and stacking, and do not handle them too much.
Jagae (자개), also called najeon (나전), is a Korean word for abalone or mother-of-pearl shells used in pair with tranditional lacquer art called najeon chilgi (나전칠기). Jagae doesn't tarnish after millennia and has mysterious colors depending on lighting.
This is a medium and technique I've been learning and working on this past year, and offered here are some smaller studies of them, some as paintings, and others as 3-dimensional objects/sculptures.
+ Note : I'm not using traditional natural lacquer or ott (옻), as it's a hard medium to acquire from the US. I'm using acrylic paint and gel medium as alternatives.
* Each piece is made of hand-cut wood panels so exact sizes and squareness may vary a bit.
Please read :
+ INTERNATIONAL ORDERS are temporarily suspended due to postal delays, losses, and COVID restrictions :(
+ Due to current situation (COVID-19), there may be delays in shipping.
+ Please allow 1-2 weeks' production time for the hand-embellished option to ship. (These may not arrive before the holidays)
+ USPS Priority Mail® for Domestic US orders, and USPS First-Class Package International Service® for International orders*.
(* International customers - some international shipping has been temporarily suspended by the USPS. Please note that you may be charged extra shipping fees for alternative courier options. I'm sorry for the inconvenience)
+ Shipping prices may be adjusted down for multiple orders, unless shipped separately due to material and shape/size.
+ Please contact me to arrange different shipping options.
Thank you for looking & please stay healthy! :)